I was always on the look-out for excellent breakfast baked goods.I’ve tried lots of different scone recipes and this one from Tyler Florence is my absolute favourite.
One of my B&B guests requested the recipe “if it wasn’t a family heirloom”, which clearly it is not…so this is for Kyndre!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbspn baking powder
- ½ tspn salt
- 4 tbspn sugar
- 5 tbspn cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup blueberries fresh
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbspn lemon zest
- 1 tbspn butter
- 3 tbspn lemon juice
- 3 tbspn confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 400℉
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder and mix with sugar, salt and lemon zest
- Cut butter into mixture with a pastry knife or rub it in
- Gently fold blueberries into mixture
- Make a well in the centre of the mix and add the cream
- Stir carefully with a metal spoon to combine. Don't overmix.
- Tip the mixture onto a floured board or silipad and with lightly floured hands, pat the dough into a circle
- slice into 8-10 wedges with a pastry cutter or pizza cutter.
- Brush the tops with heavy cream.
- Put on an ungreased baking tray and bake for 15-20 min until the tops are lightly golden
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
- While the scones are cooling, make the glaze.
- Melt butter in microwave
- Add icing sugat and stir into a smooth paste.
- Add lemon juice and stir til all sugar is dissolved.
- Drizzle over scones.