Blueberries are my favourite fruit.
I buy huge trays of them every summer. I make blueberry sauce with half of them and snap freeze the rest to get me through the long, wet winter.
The hot sauce goes great with pancakes, but is best with my Brioche French Toast which is a whole ‘nother story. I don’t like French Toast usually but my adapted Martha Stewart recipe French Toast is just divine and with the hot blueberry sauce over top is to die for.
I made it a couple of times from a highly rated allrecipes.com recipe.
I felt it tasted a little strange in a strangely medicinal sort of way, which I put down to the almond extract. So I changed it up a bit and it made a huge improvement. The rum makes it flavorful and make it feel rich and intense. And of course it’s glossy because of the corn starch.
Best Ever Warm Blueberry Sauce
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1¼ cups orange juice
- 1 tbspn orange zest
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tbspn cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 tbspn dark rum
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine berries, orange juice, orange zest and sugar.
- Stir gently and bring to the boil
- In a cup or bowl, combine cornstarch and water to make a smooth slurry
- Gently stir the cornstarch into the blueberries, taking care not to mash the berries
- Simmer until glossy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum and cinnamon.
- Thin the sauce with water or orange juice if it is too thivcj